
This past weekend was Chinese New Year’s. I went to Chinatown with a couple of my friends for just a few hours. We stayed in cultural plaza and mainly watched the lion dancing that they had on the stage. I used to go to Chinatown for Chinese New Year’s when I was a lot younger. I remember the first time I fed a lion, I was so incredibly scared of it that I just got as close to it as I could and dropped my dollar at it’s feet. The lion was really nice about it and just pretended to be eating something off the ground. I hadn’t gone back for a while, but I’m glad that I went this year.
Now that I am older, I’m able to better appreciate the culture and the experiences that I had growing up. When I saw the lion’s dance this year, I was impressed by the physical strength, balance, coordination, and sensitivity to their partners, that each of the lion dancers were equipped with. I could appreciate the mental, physical, and emotional stress that the dancers must have gone through to be able to perform as they did. I was especially impressed with one lion that had fallen a couple of times from the poles it was dancing on. Each time one of them fell down, they would just mount the pole again in a respectable manner.
I had gone with a couple of friends because the two of them had really wanted to go. It was interesting for me because had never gone to a Chinese New Year’s in Chinatown, but used to go to them in China when she was younger and living there. The other friend, while she is part Chinese, and has lived here her whole life, had never been to a Chinese New Year’s in Chinatown. It was a culturally enlightening experience for me because I learned a lot of things from my friends. I was also able to appreciate the culture that I grew up in.
Now that I am older, I’m able to better appreciate the culture and the experiences that I had growing up. When I saw the lion’s dance this year, I was impressed by the physical strength, balance, coordination, and sensitivity to their partners, that each of the lion dancers were equipped with. I could appreciate the mental, physical, and emotional stress that the dancers must have gone through to be able to perform as they did. I was especially impressed with one lion that had fallen a couple of times from the poles it was dancing on. Each time one of them fell down, they would just mount the pole again in a respectable manner.
I had gone with a couple of friends because the two of them had really wanted to go. It was interesting for me because had never gone to a Chinese New Year’s in Chinatown, but used to go to them in China when she was younger and living there. The other friend, while she is part Chinese, and has lived here her whole life, had never been to a Chinese New Year’s in Chinatown. It was a culturally enlightening experience for me because I learned a lot of things from my friends. I was also able to appreciate the culture that I grew up in.
1 comment:
Trisha Look here! Your are very famous!!
Post a Comment