Trisha's Shoebox: Rachel

Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Rachel

In English class, we were asked to walk outside the classroom walls and see our school and our world through the eyes of one of the Price daughter’s, Leah, Adah, Rachel, Ruth May, from Barbara Kingsolver’s Poisonwood Bible. I chose to be Rachel and this is what I saw and felt in her place.

The bright sun pierces my soft fair skin. I squint to help shield my crystal light blue eyes from the sun’s penetrating rays. That’s another thing we forgot to bring sunscreen. Normally I hate the strange the oily texture on my sensitive skin, but I could use some nonetheless right about now. The last thing I want is a painful, scratchy sunburn. I can’t stand pain.

They have a chapel here. I think Father and Leah would like it because of all the plants and shrubbery growing around it. The two of them like that kind of stuff. Personally, I hardly think it’s a place of worship. The chapel itself is practically smack dab in the middle of a ducky pond inhabiting only God knows what. What I can only guess as to be mold crawls up the chapel walls, staining the once pure, cleansing white to a dark sluggish brown.

The clothes they wear here all look the same. The shirts are mostly solid generic colors all in the same style and of very low quality. They are probably all manufactured in a warehouse with a frumpy middle-aged man pressing a bright red button. The wardrobes themselves look pretty unindulgent, practically boring, but the people here seem very comfortable in them.

After walking around with my sisters, we decided to sit down one of the cement benches. I’ve never seen so many things made out of cement, benches, buildings stairs, and the rest. I leaned my hand back when I felt something inexplicably gooey and unsettling. I lifted my hand to feel the long strings of chewing gum stretched beneath my palm. I’ve only had chewing gum a couple other times in my life. Father says that it is one of those unnecessary evils. Ruth May, who is of course hiding under the bench, shows me the thousands of globs of gum under the bench. I run of to the lady’s room, about to vomit, and of course, in a moment of complete disgust with this new place.

No comments: