In Response to reading pages 35 to 68 of The Poisonwood Bible I have chosen to quotes from each chapter within the reading. I believe that the following quotes have all have either significance or potential significance to the book.
“God merely expects us to do our own share of the perspiring for life’s bounty, Leah” (37)
This is shows a belief that Nathan Price has. So far I think that he is someone very diligent and who finds it his duty and responsibility to work his hardest. He faced war, probably giving his all, receiving “injur[ies] he doesn’t ever talk about, nor being one to boast” (37). I think this trait of his may show up later in the book as part of his character.
“Some people find him overly stern and frightening, but that is only because he was gifted with such keen judgment and purity of heart” (41)
Leah really looks up to father. She sees in him things that most other people don’t that she can admire. I think this quote shows that Leah doesn’t just want to suck up to her father because he is her father and holds a high position in the household. I think she sees this person in him that she thinks is really special and that is why she acts the way she does.
“In a certain way they seemed naked irregardless”(47)
Nakedness has been an issue in this book so far. It starts with Nathan Price’s speech against “Nakedness…and the darkness of the soul! (27) and is brought again by both Rachel and Adah. Before it mainly referred to physical nakedness and its consequences, but this quote expresses them as being naked even when they are clothed. It makes me wonder how they would still seem naked.
“Considering my whole situation, I was not about to be bothered by the spectrum of death at our picnic” (48)
Here, Rachel sets herself aside from her other sisters, not bothered by the fact that the chickens they are eating were just killed while her sisters are. The conclusion is that somehow Rachel is self centered in feeling sorry for herself and that she is morally different than her sisters for her conscience to not be bothered. On the other hand, Rachel might also be more realistic and logical in the ways of life, which might come with her older age and possibly maturity.
“A child shouldn’t think of herself better than others because she is blonde as a white rabbit”(52)
I think this quote is important because it answers Rachel’s question as to why “[her] parents allow the situation to present itself” (48). They are hoping that this experience will make Rachel a more modest person. I also think that this quote is important because it deals with the fact that someone should not think higher of himself just because he looks a certain. This seems to also be an issue in the book.
“It appears to me that their bodies just get worn our, about the same way as our worldly goods do” (53)
Here is one of the few times Orleana has spoken up in the book so far. She tries to reason with Nathan that the Congolese people put there bodies through a lot because they don’t have the same worldly goods that people who are better off have. Orleana has her own opinion other than Nathan’s that seems possibly logical. I also think that this shows that she feels somewhat sorry for the Congolese people because they have to put their bodies through so much.
“Sending a girl to college is like pouring water in your shoes” (56)
I believe that Nathan Price has a certain opinion about women that may include that they are not intelligent or even worthy. This can reflect a lot of things about Nathan Price and the time period and setting of the book. Although Leah and Adah are said to be very intelligent girls he still feels that sending a girl to college is a waste.
“This is our permanent order: Leah, Ruth May, Rachel, Adah. Neither chronological nor alphabetical but it rarely varies, unless Ruth May gets distracted and falls out of line” (62)
This quote says a lot about the girls respectively and as a group. I also think this quote may have importance later in the book because it describes the order as permanent and to hardly ever be changed. This is also somewhat how the order of the chapters has been although Ruth May and Rachel were switched in the previous four chapters. Perhaps somehow Ruth May was distracted.
“The mote in his brother’s eye, not the sin in his own household” (66)
I’m not sure what the “mote in his brother’s eye” means. Maybe it means the lack of his fellow Christian’s judgment. In this quote you can tell that it isn’t Nathan’s fault that the bird says the words “piss off” (65) and therefore he considers it not the sin of him or his household. I wonder if Nathan Price really sees it that way, or if Leah is articulating it so as to defend her father.
“For Adah that’s normal, of course, and for that very reason she often gets accused when none of us speaks up”(66)
I find it interesting that here silence has worked against Adah. Adah justifies that “silence has many advantages” (34) and also describes speaking as a distraction. However here, silence is clearly a disadvantage. I also find it unfair that Nathan Price targets Adah just because she is usually silent.
“God merely expects us to do our own share of the perspiring for life’s bounty, Leah” (37)
This is shows a belief that Nathan Price has. So far I think that he is someone very diligent and who finds it his duty and responsibility to work his hardest. He faced war, probably giving his all, receiving “injur[ies] he doesn’t ever talk about, nor being one to boast” (37). I think this trait of his may show up later in the book as part of his character.
“Some people find him overly stern and frightening, but that is only because he was gifted with such keen judgment and purity of heart” (41)
Leah really looks up to father. She sees in him things that most other people don’t that she can admire. I think this quote shows that Leah doesn’t just want to suck up to her father because he is her father and holds a high position in the household. I think she sees this person in him that she thinks is really special and that is why she acts the way she does.
“In a certain way they seemed naked irregardless”(47)
Nakedness has been an issue in this book so far. It starts with Nathan Price’s speech against “Nakedness…and the darkness of the soul! (27) and is brought again by both Rachel and Adah. Before it mainly referred to physical nakedness and its consequences, but this quote expresses them as being naked even when they are clothed. It makes me wonder how they would still seem naked.
“Considering my whole situation, I was not about to be bothered by the spectrum of death at our picnic” (48)
Here, Rachel sets herself aside from her other sisters, not bothered by the fact that the chickens they are eating were just killed while her sisters are. The conclusion is that somehow Rachel is self centered in feeling sorry for herself and that she is morally different than her sisters for her conscience to not be bothered. On the other hand, Rachel might also be more realistic and logical in the ways of life, which might come with her older age and possibly maturity.
“A child shouldn’t think of herself better than others because she is blonde as a white rabbit”(52)
I think this quote is important because it answers Rachel’s question as to why “[her] parents allow the situation to present itself” (48). They are hoping that this experience will make Rachel a more modest person. I also think that this quote is important because it deals with the fact that someone should not think higher of himself just because he looks a certain. This seems to also be an issue in the book.
“It appears to me that their bodies just get worn our, about the same way as our worldly goods do” (53)
Here is one of the few times Orleana has spoken up in the book so far. She tries to reason with Nathan that the Congolese people put there bodies through a lot because they don’t have the same worldly goods that people who are better off have. Orleana has her own opinion other than Nathan’s that seems possibly logical. I also think that this shows that she feels somewhat sorry for the Congolese people because they have to put their bodies through so much.
“Sending a girl to college is like pouring water in your shoes” (56)
I believe that Nathan Price has a certain opinion about women that may include that they are not intelligent or even worthy. This can reflect a lot of things about Nathan Price and the time period and setting of the book. Although Leah and Adah are said to be very intelligent girls he still feels that sending a girl to college is a waste.
“This is our permanent order: Leah, Ruth May, Rachel, Adah. Neither chronological nor alphabetical but it rarely varies, unless Ruth May gets distracted and falls out of line” (62)
This quote says a lot about the girls respectively and as a group. I also think this quote may have importance later in the book because it describes the order as permanent and to hardly ever be changed. This is also somewhat how the order of the chapters has been although Ruth May and Rachel were switched in the previous four chapters. Perhaps somehow Ruth May was distracted.
“The mote in his brother’s eye, not the sin in his own household” (66)
I’m not sure what the “mote in his brother’s eye” means. Maybe it means the lack of his fellow Christian’s judgment. In this quote you can tell that it isn’t Nathan’s fault that the bird says the words “piss off” (65) and therefore he considers it not the sin of him or his household. I wonder if Nathan Price really sees it that way, or if Leah is articulating it so as to defend her father.
“For Adah that’s normal, of course, and for that very reason she often gets accused when none of us speaks up”(66)
I find it interesting that here silence has worked against Adah. Adah justifies that “silence has many advantages” (34) and also describes speaking as a distraction. However here, silence is clearly a disadvantage. I also find it unfair that Nathan Price targets Adah just because she is usually silent.
No comments:
Post a Comment