The chapel the other day really made me think. I never realized how much of a loser Jesus must have felt like, and how much people must have seen him as one at the time. I also didn’t realize how encouraging it is that Jesus was a loser. This idea I think was meant to give us hope that when we feel like losers, we can remember that Jesus, felt like a loser too.
Chaplain Hamada told us this story of his days of youth when he fell in love with a girl. They became very close they cared about each other a lot. However, after a while, she told him that she couldn’t be with him any longer. Later he found out that the reason she could not be with him any more was because her parents were uncomfortable with the fact that she was Caucasian and he was Japanese.
His story is well taken, and the idea that they could not be together because of ethnicity is powerful. However, I also believe that it can somewhat be used as an excuse. He does not have to pry himself a part thinking that she actually didn’t like him. I believe that rejection with no excuses is much harder to deal with because they make you question yourself.
My friend has told me that he has been on a losing streak for about two years. However, I admire him for this. Mostly because he puts him self out there, to be judged, rejected or ridiculed. I believe that that takes a lot of courage, which is why I admire him. I try to help him see this, but I know that it can be very difficult.
My brother however always has an interesting way of looking at things. One of his favorite quotes is, "It's easy to be humble, anyone can do it. Only an idiot with a crazy dream would take on the title of 'strongest'-- take it on himself to carry that type of crazy responsibility." I also believe that individuals who can use this approach are very strong because after numerous failures and evidence that they are not strong, they still have faith in themselves. I believe that that mental and emotional capacity is powerful.
Chaplain Hamada told us this story of his days of youth when he fell in love with a girl. They became very close they cared about each other a lot. However, after a while, she told him that she couldn’t be with him any longer. Later he found out that the reason she could not be with him any more was because her parents were uncomfortable with the fact that she was Caucasian and he was Japanese.
His story is well taken, and the idea that they could not be together because of ethnicity is powerful. However, I also believe that it can somewhat be used as an excuse. He does not have to pry himself a part thinking that she actually didn’t like him. I believe that rejection with no excuses is much harder to deal with because they make you question yourself.
My friend has told me that he has been on a losing streak for about two years. However, I admire him for this. Mostly because he puts him self out there, to be judged, rejected or ridiculed. I believe that that takes a lot of courage, which is why I admire him. I try to help him see this, but I know that it can be very difficult.
My brother however always has an interesting way of looking at things. One of his favorite quotes is, "It's easy to be humble, anyone can do it. Only an idiot with a crazy dream would take on the title of 'strongest'-- take it on himself to carry that type of crazy responsibility." I also believe that individuals who can use this approach are very strong because after numerous failures and evidence that they are not strong, they still have faith in themselves. I believe that that mental and emotional capacity is powerful.
1 comment:
Maybe i shouldn't have slept in chapel.. HERM.. i didn't just say that
Good luck to your friend... I admire his courage as well
Post a Comment